Wednesday 2 April 2014

Flanking basics

With 3 or more people it may be feasible to flank an enemy position with one member of the team whilst the others keep this enemy force decisively engaged.

Decisively engaged implies that neither force can remove themselves without one side being defeated. It is important not to have all your units decisively engaged unless at a climatic moment in the overall battle, as it directly reduces your freedom of action and can paralyse your units from taking any further actions.

With that in mind, it may be one of the safest and surest ways of knocking out an enemy force by enacting a flanking manoeuvre with a team member that is in reserve.

With regards to reserves, it can be useful to keep at least one or more team members in central rear positions within a formation so that they may be able to readily flank an enemy encounter whilst the forward positions are decisively engaged.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I guess it's the oldest trick in the book but I hope it's helpful for some players all the same :)

      Delete
  2. Is that me or was the flanking technique taken from Dslyeci's guide for ARMA 3 Tactical guide? http://ttp3.dslyecxi.com/ What you said in your blog is absolutely correct. Although I don't have any squads in DayZ (I'm a lone-wolf), but this might come handy if I were in a squad. Thanks for that helpful guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've come across this Arma III guide, and it looks vastly superior to my posts on flanking, formations and bounding. I have read other articles online to help get the terminology as correct as possible, apart from that it is largely paraphrasing or my own words. Thanks

      Delete